I will admit that I was getting ready for a letdown. An e-mail had been sent to Mount Mercy’s marketing office earlier this week, listing three students who would win awards at the Iowa College Media Association annual awards ceremony, held tonight, Feb. 6, in Des Moines.
Well, shoot, I thought, when they forwarded the e-mail. Three. We usually get more awards than that. But, I figured, maybe one or two of the students might win two awards, and the staff might be recognized in some category. So, while preparing myself for disappointment in case there was only three awards, I also hoped that maybe we’re really get a few more—five, six or seven awards.
Well. As it turned out, I vastly undershot. We won a record 15 awards, 14 for the newspaper and one for the web site of the Times.
Our Co-Editor, Maddy Jones, won multiple awards in many categories—for writing, photography, headlines. The Editor in Chief of the Times, Thomas Kremer, III; and its Sports Editor, Taylor Foster, also won several awards each.
The paper overall came in third in the General Excellence category, which is rather nice.
The award ceremony came at the end of a long and interesting day, which featured, among other things, a tour of the Des Moines Register’s new offices where the publisher acted as our tour guide, a chance to view the main gubernatorial candidates and several Republicans who are running for the U.S. Senate, to hear from some leading Iowa political reporters and to see some emotionally charged images by a New Orleans photojournalist.
I also ate my first patties at Zombie Burgers. Doubtless, I will be back.
I’m going to write more about ICMA in the future. In particular, I want to ruminate on the tour of the Register, which I found fascinating. For now, here are the MMU Times awards winners:
MMU Times Wins Record 15 ICMA Awards
The Mount Mercy Times won 15 awards, including three first-place awards, seven second-place awards, two third place awards and three honorable mentions at the Iowa College Media Association convention Feb. 6 in Des Moines.
Fourteen of the awards were in the ICMA “Better Newspaper” contest, recognizing the Mount Mercy Times newspaper. The other award was in the Multi-Media competition, which included the Times web site, times.mtmercy.edu.
The 15 awards are by far the most won by Mount Mercy in the annual ICMA media contest. In particular, multiple individual awards were won by Madison Jones, Co-Editor; Taylor Foster, Sports Editor; and TJ Kremer, III, Editor-in-Chief.
The awards are:
- 1st place, Best News Photo, Taylor Foster.
- 1st place, Best Feature Photo, Madison Jones.
- 1st place, Best Profile Story, Madison Jones.
- 2nd place, Best Editorial Leadership, The Mount Mercy Times editorial board (award for staff editorials).
- 2nd place, Best Headline Writing, Madison Jones.
- 2nd place, Best Opinion Writing, Taylor Foster.
- 2nd place, Best Blog, TJ Kremer, III.
- 2nd place, Best Coverage of First Amendment Issues, Madison Jones.
- 2nd place, Best Inside Page Design, Madison Jones.
- 2nd place, Best Op-Ed Section, The Mount Mercy Times staff, lead writer on section TJ Kremer, III.
- 3rd place, Best Front Page, The Mount Mercy Times staff.
- 3rd place, General Excellence, The Mount Mercy Times staff.
- Honorable Mention, Best Opinion Writing, Madison Jones.
- Honorable Mention, Best Coverage of First Amendment Issues, TJ Kremer, III.
- Honorable Mention, Best Sports Story, The Mount Mercy Times staff.